* Scientific replacement appears in bold.
*original description does not appear in bold.
- Front foot facing to the service box diagonally opposite of players position. Foot opposite of dominant hand should face the service box diagonally opposite of player’s position. This foot is nearest to the baseline, and will hereafter be referred to as the front foot.
- Back foot parallel to the baseline. Foot opposite of non dominant hand should be parallel to the baseline. This will hereafter be referred to as the back foot.
- Weight on player's front foot. Approximately 90 percent of player’s weight is placed on the front foot.
- Knees slightly bent. Slight Flexion of the tibio-femoral joint in the sagittal plane at the mediolateral axis of rotation.